- Enrollment continues in Phase 1 dose-escalation IMMUNICY-1 trial for lead shRNA-based allogeneic CAR T candidate, CYAD-211, for relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma (r/r MM)
- Dialogue continues with regulatory agencies concerning CYAD-101-002 Phase 1b trial, which remains on clinical hold
Mont-Saint-Guibert, Belgium – Celyad Oncology SA (Euronext & Nasdaq: CYAD) (the “Company”), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR T) therapies for cancer, today announced an update on its financial results and recent business developments for the fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2022.
“The first quarter of 2022 brought us both challenges and opportunities that we are facing head-on. While we continue to investigate the recent developments in the CYAD-101 Phase 1b trial, we are making great progress with our shRNA-based allogeneic programs, including CYAD-211, for which we anticipate announcing additional data during the second half of the year,” commented Filippo Petti, Chief Executive Officer of the Company. “We are truly thankful for our hardworking team and the support of our shareholders while we advance towards our milestones for the year and further enhance our allogeneic CAR T investigational therapies with our proprietary non gene edited technologies.”
Update on Clinical and Preclinical Programs
CYAD-211 – Allogeneic shRNA-based, anti-BCMA CAR T candidate for r/r MM
- The dose-escalation Phase 1 IMMUNICY-1 trial is evaluating the tolerability and clinical activity of a single infusion of CYAD-211 following preconditioning with CyFlu (cyclophosphamide and fludarabine) in patients with relapsed / refractory multiple myeloma (r/r MM).
- The current segment of the IMMUNICY-1 study is evaluating CYAD-211 following enhanced lymphodepleting (eLD) regimens with the aim to improve cell expansion and persistence and potentially maximize the clinical activity of CYAD-211. In addition, the IMMUNICY-1 protocol allows for redosing of CYAD-211 in certain patients.
- Enrollment in the eLD cohorts of the IMMUNICY-1 trial continues with additional data expected from the program in the second half of 2022.
CYAD-101 – Allogeneic TIM-based, NKG2D CAR T Candidate for Metastatic Colorectal Cancer (mCRC)
- In February 2022, the Company voluntarily paused the Phase 1b trial of CYAD-101 after two fatalities occurred that presented with similar pulmonary findings. Subsequently, in March 2022, the Company was informed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that the CYAD-101-002 Phase 1b trial had been placed on clinical hold.
- The Company continues to investigate these findings in the CYAD-101-002 Phase 1b trial and is evaluating any similar events in additional patients treated in the study, while also working with appropriate regulatory authorities. The Company expects to provide additional updates on the trial in the future.
shRNA Armored CAR (shARC) Franchise
- Research continues in multiple discovery programs focused on the co-expression of Interleukin-18 (IL-18) in conjunction with our short hairpin RNA (shRNA) technology platform, also known as our shARC (shRNA Armored CAR) franchise.
- In April, the Company decided to stop the development of CYAD-203, an allogeneic shRNA-based, IL-18-armored NKG2D CAR T candidate following the analysis of preclinical data from multiple investigational new drug application (IND)-enabling studies. The Company continues to explore back-up allogeneic NKG2D receptor CAR T candidates currently in discovery stage that leverage the Company’s shARC platform.
First Quarter 2022 Financial Review
As of March 31, 2022, the Company had cash and cash equivalents of €20.5 million ($22.9 million). Net cash burn during the first quarter of 2022 amounted to €9.5 million ($10.6 million), in line with expectations. The Company confirms its previous guidance that its existing cash and cash equivalents, combined with the remaining access to the equity purchase agreement established with Lincoln Park Capital Fund, LLC, should be sufficient to fund operating expenses and capital expenditure requirements until mid-2023.
First Half 2022 Financial Results …………………… August 5, 2022
Third Quarter 2022 Financial Results ……………….. November 10, 2022